Mount Kinabalu 2011

23 to 24 Feb 2011- This is my first time climbing Mt Kinabalu and I am really excited to be here after 3 months of training. To prepare for the climb, we trained by stair climbing (40 storeys building) and hiking up Bukit Timah hill weekly. I can't wait to ascend this mountain, after all this is South East Asia highest mountain right ?

Jo's Climbers (Photo from Jo)

Briefing before the trek starts 
We started the climb at about 9:45am and were advised not to go too fast as that will increase the risk of acute mountain sickness (ams). Anyway, all the good advice went out the window when I started.  I was just focused on reaching Laban Rata base camp.

Distance markers and maps at every 0.5km
The terrain goes UP UP and UP, with steep inclines with very little flat ground. I am really glad I trained for the climb.
 
Porters carrying 30 kgs load

Resting for lunch on the steps as the huts were full !
The "killer" yellow rocky steps that seems to go on forever ! look out for this at the 4Km mark !
More Yellow Steps .. Looking down from the top
On my way up, I encountered many climbers who were on their way down. Some of them talked to us and encouraged us. One guy told me to pace myself at the yellow rocky steps (4km to 5km). I was really tired and panting at that juncture.  He must have seen how tired I was.  Shortly after, I felt a cramp developing in my right thigh and I decide to really slow down.  I didnt want to have another cramp episode (like the one I suffered in the Genting Trailblazer race).


Shrouded by mist
Everything starts to get misty after the 5km mark. It was getting colder too.

Pondok Paka - The final hut before reaching Laban Rata

Final 500m to the base camp .. to warm water and dinner !

I reached Laban Rata at about 2:45pm. It took me about 5hrs to reach the base camp.  I had a headache when I reached there. Its was probably due to ams or dehydation (or both).  The 2 litres of water that I brought still had about a litre left.  Thats one thing I dont like about the water bladder hydration system.  There are no visible indicators on how much water you have consumed. 


Laban Rata


At Laban Rata, all items sells at astronomical prices.  About 10 times the prices in Kota Kinabalu (KK) town.  It is much cheaper to buy water and food from KK town and pay a porter to carry them up. After dinner, we made our way to the Gunting Lagadan hut where we spent the night.  Due to some electrical problem, there were no hot water.  Anyway, it was too cold to bath !


4 to a room in the hut

The view outside the hut was excellent.  Beautiful scenic view of Mount Kinabalu.
 


We slept early that night (7 - 8pm).  Many of us were affected by ams and the terrible cold.  It was raining and probably near freezing temperature that night. We had to wake up and be ready for the summit climb by 2:30am the next day.

We attempted the Summit !
We set off for the summit at 2:45am in total darkness.  We can only see what our head torches shone on. There was a long queue of people making their way towards the summit. The summit is at 8.7km and we are starting off at 6km.   I didnt dare to go fast this time as I didnt want to tire myself out and risk exhaustion or cramps. I deliberately took breaks along the way and allowed other climbers to overtake me. Soon the crowd began to thin out as the faster ones went ahead and the slower ones stopped and rested behind us.  From my group, only Mimi was beside me now.  Together we made our way to the summit.

I reached the summit at 547am !
It is only on our way down from the summit, when the sun illuminated the mountain, that we saw the splendour and beauty of Mount Kinabalu.


The guide that took us up ! Gorilla face in the background

Ropes to guide you to the summit  
  
One of my favourite shots ! (Photo from Mimi)


Yan Peng shot this ! Beautiful ...

On the way down, I had a terrible pounding headache.  I was affected by ams.  It got better when I reached Laban Rata for lunch and the headache disappeared when I made my way down to Timpohon gate.

Climbing Mt Kinabalu is a fantastic experience.  The feeling of exhilaration when you reach the summit is indescribable. You have to be here to experience the splendor and beauty of the place and the wonders of Mother Nature.

I will return, perhaps to try the Mesilau route and the Via Ferrata. See you soon  !

Comments

  1. 2 thumbs up,errm, no, 4 thumbs-up, Adrian. Our Mt Kinabalu experience, written down at its best, savour with mesmerizing pictures with complete clarity and appropriate angle of beauty..."ASTONISHING !"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Glen, thanks for your comments. Lets do KK again one day, shall we ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing for photos and your experience!!! It's really allow me to be more prepared for my first Mt K climb this June :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Pair of Adidas Kampung

Gunung Belumut

Gunung Panti - Home to Blood Suckers